Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Last Supper

(The Last Supper from Mark 14 and John 13-14 and the Jesus Storybook Bible)
Remember when God rescued his people from slavery in Egypt? They had to put the blood of a lamb over their doors to show that they belonged to God, and the angel of death passed by those houses and did not go in but passed over. Well, every year the Jews celebrated this event, called the "Passover."
Jesus and his friends also celebrated Passover, just before Jesus was betrayed and killed. His friends were arguing about who would wash everyone's dirty feet for them before the meal.

Jesus quietly took off his coat and bent down with a bowl of water. Peter said, "Not you, Jesus!" Peter didn't understand that Jesus was a Servant King. Jesus said, "If you don't let me wash away the dirt, Peter, you can't be close to me." Jesus knew that what people needed most was to be clean on the inside. The dirt on their feet was nothing compared with the sin in their hearts. Peter's eyes filled with tears as he let Jesus wash his feet.
"I am doing this because I love you. You also must do this for each other."

Now one of Jesus' disciples had made a plan to betray him to the people who hated him. Jesus knew his plan, and said, "Do what you will do, Judas... go." Judas went and told those people he'd lead them to Jesus, and he received 30 pieces of silver in exchange for his betrayal.

But Jesus stayed and spent more time that evening with his friends. He took bread and broke it and said, "This is my body, which is broken for you. Take and eat it, all of you." And he also took a cup of wine and said, "This is my blood which is shed for you for the forgiveness of your sins. I will die instead of you. I'll heal your hearts, and you'll be clean on the inside. So whenever you do this, remember me. I have rescued you!"

Jesus knew he was leaving to go back to his Father God. "You'll be sad for a while, but the Helper, the Holy Spirit, will come to you. And you'll have my Forever happiness, so don't be afraid! You are my friends, and I love you, and I will not leave you alone, ever." Then they sung a song, and walked up to their favorite place, an olive garden, to pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment